Wednesday 12 February 2014

Create a patchwork quilt using large hexagons. Start with a spare curtain and design as you go. Part 1.

Create a patchwork quilt using large hexagons.   Start with a spare curtain and design as you go.


My last blog published a few days ago explained this would be my last hexagon quilt.   I would like to take this opportunity to show how to design a hexagon quilt without a pattern in mind.  On this occasion I am using a Laura Ashley Gosford Cranberry curtain measuring about 88" x 88".   I purchased two pairs for the bedroom, one window was smaller so split one curtain in half.  I hoped the spare curtain would make a bed throw but unfortunately it creased rather badly and started to irritate me.  Hence one of the reasons to make this matching quilt for the king size bed.

I want work to grow fast so I am using 10cm hexagons (each side measures 5cm).  I want the colours of the large flowers in the design to feature.  Designing cannot begin until I know how many large flower hexagons can be made from the curtain.

Place curtain on ironing board and iron.  Place a paper template over a flower and cut around giving at least 1cm seam allowance.   Its a large piece of fabric so I set a target of cutting 35 hexagons a day, and covered the paper templates with the cut flowers in the evening.   As a rough guide it took me about one hour to cover 30 hexagons.  Fortunately few distractions!

Keeping the remnants from the curtain for future use in the patchwork quilt.

Hexagon paper templates can be purchased from www.patchworktemplates.com if you do not wish to cut your own.

Part Two of the creation and design process will follow shortly.  Thinking ahead I have just remembered some fabrics that have been waiting for a project like this.  Must sort them out!















No comments: